Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Choice Schools

Next year,  Rock Hill Schools will have 9  choice or magnet schools, 7 in elementary and 2 in middle school, not to mention a state charter school (York Prep) and a state online school. A lot of options for young parents to choose from. I'm often asked about the choices. When I start to tell them to visit the schools, including their zoned school, I get stopped and asked, "No, take your school board hat off. What do you really think?" Well, I can never really take my school board hat off. So, what I tell them is  I don't know what I would do. There weren't options when my kids were that age, but plenty of research shows  the number one factor for a child's success is the parent(s). The number two factor is so far behind it is insignificant, so worrying about sending your child to a choice school - well - you really should find something else to worry about - such as finding time to spend one or two hours a day with your child  reading to them or have them read to you or just interacting - challenging their minds. But since you are looking at schools, find one that your child likes, one that will get them excited about learning. I suspect you'll find a lot of schools, choice and non-choice, that will fill that bill.

I am excited about one of our new choice options, foreign language immersion. Being bi-lingual is a life long skill, one that would put your children at a competitive advantage in this new global world.  But, your child would have to be excited about the second language. The two video clips show how being bi-lingual can be helpful.



Click here for a link to the video. Click here for a link to the video.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Edutopia

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon