Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

School Boards

From Teacher in a Strange Land:
"I don't believe there has ever been a school year when I wasn't teaching at least one board member's child. I've seen local boards make baseless, idiotic decisions and demonstrate the "I'm only on the board to get benefits for my child" syndrome. I've been asked by an administrator to change the grade of a board member's son, and instructed to "forget" that a board member's daughter stole a musical instrument, when the police report was filed.
I know there's plenty of room for malfeasance--not to mention outright educational incompetence--with local school boards. I've experienced it."
These comments by Nancy Flanagan  can be found by clicking here. The surprising thing, her conclusion is  school boards are still needed.
At the end of the day, a parent just wants to know their child is getting the same quality education  children are getting elsewhere in the country.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Edutopia

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon