Rock Hill Schools has received a $23,750 grant from the Lowe’s Charitable and Educational Foundation to build an outdoor classroom on the campus of the Sunset Park Center for Accelerated Studies. With an expected completion date in August, the classroom will be open to all elementary schools during the day and to the community evenings and weekends.
In addition to singing the praises of Lowe's, Deborah Maynard, the district's grant writer, stated that she would like to thank David Norton, instructional specialist; Sally Shive, science coach at Sunset Park; and Duke Power which has contributed $1,000 toward this project.
Sullivan Middle School will host a Spring Festival and Car Show on its campus from 10 am - 5 pm on Sat., April 17. Proceeds will help to kick off the school's literacy initiative. Sullivan will accept vendors and business sponsors until Weds., April 14.
- Cathy Griffin (Northwestern High School) and Caroline Yetman (Rock Hill High School) and their Model UN teams on awards received at the Winthrop Model UN competition last weekend. Northwestern's team, representing Russia, won the Winthrop Cup while Rock Hill High, representing the U.S.A., won "The Delegation Most in Character" award.
- Beverly Laney, choral music teacher at South Pointe High School and the Stallion Corral Concert Choir which, for the 3rd year in a row, placed 5th in the state out of 30 choirs.
- Emily Thompson, orchestra teacher at Dutchman Creek Middle School. The 7th and 8th grade orchestra earned a Superior rating at the S. C. Orchestra Concert Festival on March 26. Members received straight superior ratings from the judges, including a perfect score from one judge.
- Coordinator Sandra Holeman and the Sullivan Middle School Junior Civitans on raising $2800 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
- Coordinators Jason Werts and Jacob Stancil and the students and faculty at Old Pointe Elementary School on raising $3,291 for the American Heart Assn.
- James Turner, band director at South Pointe High School, and the Band of Thunder's Winter Drum Line which placed first and the winter guard which placed third at the Carolina Winter Ensemble Assn.'s competition last weekend.
- Marsha Gross and the Northwestern High School Chamber Orchestra. The orchestra performed Grade VI repertoire at the S.C. Orchestra Concert Festival and received a perfect score on their prepared musical selections.
To bring attention that April is "Child Abuse Awareness Month," the Central Child Development Center is bringing a speaker to the Community Performance Center on March 30 to talk about recognizing signs of physical abuse, neglect, sexual abuse, and mental injury and what concerned adults can do.
The South Pointe High School Prom Committee will sponsor a district-wide sale on April 24 in the Sullivan parking lot.